Tuesday, August 12, 2008

US Boys Gymnasties


Ok, who saw last nights heroics performed by the big underdog mens team America in artistic Gymnastics? I did, and it was Amazing, Exciting, Outstanding and...Embarrassing? Don't be to quick to judge me as a cynic or communist, I love the Olympics and I am personally convinced that the US is the greatest country on earth. I also dont want to draw any attention away from the outstanding athleticism and teamwork displayed by the US mens Gymnasts. It was so exciting to see the team, who wasn't even expected to be a medal contender of any kind, surge to the front and become the team to beat. And we were all amazed by the nerves, poise and skill of the pommel horse alternate who stepped up and solidified the bronze medal for team USA in the wake of the few, but somewhat critical mistakes made by his preceding teammates. All of this is what I watch and cheer for when I watch the Olympics. (and yes, tare and I yell and jump off the couch multiple times throughout any given event:)
So, what was the stink I'm putting down? In one word, immaturity. Who is this "team leader" from Houston who acts like he's competing in a high school regional tourney? Although he was by far the best Gymnast on the team, and one of the best of the evening, our little hero greeted each of his teammates with some pee wee league cliche comment that seemed either a bit off or a bit lengthy. For example, "yeah, thats right, lets do this tonight what we told ourselves that we were going to do!" and "thats who we be, thats who we be!!" and "what?!, what?! thats right!"...and on and on. He even dictated when it was and was not ok for his teammates to give high fives. And all this on (inter)national TV!
I know these are youngsters and all, but I was just thinking, since they have a warm-up coach, a head coach, a technical coach , a choreographer, an on and on, why can't we provide a PR coach, or an acceptable chants/congratulations coach? I may be alone in this, but I just dont care anymore, it had to be said! If you are going to represent me internationally, you not only have to be an outstanding athlete, but also a smooth talking diplomat, and as cool as the Fonz. And lets be honest for a second, if you are going to be dorky in the name of America, at least win the Gold ;)
just a thought

3 comments:

Eric said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I wouldn't have thought anyone shared our opinions on the matter. Eric and I saw part of that, and I was extremely embarrassed too. I just keep hoping that part wasn't shown in other countries. Congratulations to those guys, but really, its like the French swimmer who said they came to the Olympics to smash the Americans, and then got beat. Show some class.

Carrie said...

i didn't see the whole thing but i saw part of it (before i got too tired and went to bed).

just from the little i saw, and know what you're talking about. me and brad were amazed and proud at how good they were doing, but i kinda thought they seemed a little arrogant, too.

then they didn't even win gold. don't get me wrong. bronze is a huge accomplishment. but, like you said, "have some class".

cat.janer said...

Ha! I'm so happy for this post. I'll bet that, after the 4th rotation, he probably got in Mom's Yukon and just blared that Ludacris song "Move, bi***, get out the way!" and he just drove around that Olympic parking lot, intimidating everyone's faces off. Or just looking like a dufus. Hopefully the other countries couldn't understand what he was saying. What a freak geek.