Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Washington D.C.

Well, if you don't know by now that I'm pretty horrible at posting anything on here, then I'd just like to invite you look back and figure out the ratio of my posts to Taryns...its about 1:999...But I'd be pretty sad if I didnt throw together a little somethin' about my recent DC trip to look back on, so I decided to take it in chunks and write a few things at a time...starting, now!

Early morning, Provo.
My sweet lil lady drove me to the airport at what should be considered night, but is technically morning to fly out to DC. (a special thanks to ry and steph for arranging our sleepover at stephs moms house in draper to buy us a little more sleep time...) We had a 3 1/2 hour layover in Minneapolis, so we had some time to grab some breakfast and ride their monorail...thats a huge airport! We finally made it to DC that evening at 5:30 DC time and took the Metro (their public transportation) straight to our Hotel at L'enfant Plaza. What a cool hotel! As you can see, we had a balcony with a view of the Washington monument and capitol building, etc...so cool. I had already decided I wanted to go see the monumnets right away, so we unpacked and hit the Mall. It was really cool to see at night...we saw the Lincoln, Washington and Jefferson that night, along with the world war II and Vietnam memorials...





Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: DC1stNight
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

Early Morning, Arlington.
We woke up at 7 this morning to take in some sights before our 8:30am Conference. One thing I knew I really couldn't miss was the changing of the guard at Arlington Cemetary's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. (Tare had told me all about this before I left and it was one of her "must see's, so I really didnt want to miss out!)
Lucky for me, I had a good group that shared my sense of urgency and priorities when it came down to a choice between sleep and experiencing the cool history of the good ol USA. We really didnt regret getting up that day! We showed up just in time to jog up the hill to the area of the Tomb and actually see the entire changing of the guard-so cool! There is a great sense of patriotism, respect and gratitude felt by everyone who see's this amazing ceremony and the reverence of the guards on duty. It really was a must see.







And now, I have to get to class, but more to come later...

6 comments:

Carrie said...

wow! that looked like an amazing trip, brady! i loved the pictures. i'm excited to see more. welcome back!

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan said...

oh man! i'm super jealous.... sweet pics too... did ya win the contest? congrats on getting accepted to go there in the first place... :)

Eric said...

I'm really happy that you got to do that. I wish I could have been there too. It has always been a dream of mine to go and see all of the scenes of DC and pay my respects to those who have laid down their lives, fortunes and sacred honor to build the greatest and most peculiar experiment on liberty the world has ever known.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great trip. Brady! I love DC! Going to all the amazing sites evokes a lot of emotion and always reminds me how proud I am to be an American! Looks like you saw them all! Hope you had great meetings and accomplished what you wanted to to!
~mom