Thursday, March 26, 2009

Why the wait?

We've had some friends asking us why we waited so long to tell the news, and I guess besides the fact that we didn't have our first docs appointment until I was 12 weeks and a little part of me didn't believe I was really pregnant until I saw that little bean jumping around... we didn't tell Brady's parents until I was 13 weeks (so we told them 2 days before spilling it on the blog). We do hope no one was hurt or offended that we didn't call them personally or tell them in person, because we honestly have only told family up to this point (and I announced it in RS because I was afraid I might be getting a little chubby and that could just be awkward). The real explanation is in the last 2 paragraphs of this post, feel free to skip down...

If your bored and you want to read on about how we told each of our family members please feel free! I keep a blog called "letters to my baby" where I've been (obviously) writing letters to my baby about special events (like when I found out I was pregnant, the first docs appointment, etc). I'm not a scrapbooker, and although I hope maybe one day I could be, that day is not today, and I need a way to document special things for my baby. I am a blogger, so this was just the easiest for me. Here is a long excerpt:

"Dad and I had spent several nights talking and imagining fun ways to tell family members about you (you'll see its just our nature to want to do things in a fun and memorable way, especially when its something so special). I just couldn't wait, and told my parents (Grammy & Grampy Asay) on the phone when I was about 7 weeks. I just had too many questions and needed to talk to someone.I hope when you need to talk to someone about anything (good or bad) you'll just come talk to us!

The next people I told were my sisters (Aunt Sarah and Aunt Carrie), at Griffy's 2nd b-day. Dad was away in Washington DC for a health advocacy summit, and Uncle Eric and Uncle Brad were also away, so we 3 girls spent the night together. I broke the news to them and we stayed up and talked all night. I think I was about 9 weeks.



I sent letters to Aunt Kjirsten's family and Uncle Mike's family around the same time.

After going to the first doctor's appointment (12 weeks), we were too excited and just HAD to tell someone else. We decided to go tell Aunt Danee since I really did need to tell her that I would be 5 months pregnant at her wedding (and she was looking for bridesmaid dresses). We went to eat at Panda express and decided to put our own fortune in the fortune cookie and give it to her:



That Saturday we told Uncle Ry and Aunt Steph with the little onesie for cousin Avery that we had so much fun making! We went over just to visit and hang out with them, and then slipped this onesie on Avery when they weren't looking :) When they went to check on her, they had this little suprise waiting for them:



And a week later, it was finally time to tell Grandma and Grandpa Hansen! We didn't originally plan to wait this long to tell them, but the more we thought about it(and we thought of several different ways to tell them), we really thought it would be so fun to be able to tell them in person. When we had officially decided to wait to tell them in person, we knew we couldn't tell anyone else for awhile either, because we didn't want any news getting to them too early :) Grandma and Grandpa Hansen (and aunt Hay) came into town, so we surprised (more like shocked) them with the news!

It was G&G's 28th anniversary and they had just come in the night before for spring break. That beautiful Saturday morning (it really was the last beautiful bright sunny day before a storm came in) we made them a fun anniversary breakfast...


chatted and got caught up, and then gave them an anniversary card. This is part of what it said inside:



We put the ultrasound picture of you inside the card. They had to open it, and were completely not expecting it, but were soooo excited to hear the news! Grandma just started crying, she just loves you so much :) I was 13 weeks (almost 14) when we told them.

Once we told them, we were finally free to tell all our friends. I began to try and call everyone, but Grammy Asay was anxious for me to get the news up on the blog so that she could start telling all of her friends! I decided I couldn't wait any longer and figured that putting it on the blog would make the news travel a lot faster than calling one by one, and lets face it, I'm pregnant and took the faster easier route!

You should know by now that you have so many people that are looking forward to your arrival, and just can't wait to meet you! We ALL love you so very much already!"

12 comments:

Leandra said...

OH, how cute is that! Baby is going to love this journal. And I died when i saw the onesie. Such a cute cute idea.

Kris and Megan said...

Okay, let me say one of the greatest things about being pregnant is that any time you cry (which may be ALOT!!! It seems that I am now a HUGE crier after that)anyway, any time you cry you can blame it on being pregnant. Well now I blame it on "post pregnancy" hormones, even though it's almost been 6 months! Anyway, I just had to say I almost got teary reading how you told every one and how you wrote to your baby at the end. So sweet!!!! You are going to be awesome parents.
Oh, and it IS so fun to think of creative ways to tell everyone! You guys did way more than we did, sounds SO FUN!!

Eric said...

So cute! All of it! I love this journaling idea. It's brilliant for us non scrapbookers.

ryan and danielle said...

tare, I love this baby journal idea!! you asay's are so creative! I also may be stealing ideas for how to tell our family we are expecting whenever that day comes. You guys are super cute and I am just so excited for you two to welcome home your little sweetheart. keep posting! :) i love the updates!

Carrie said...

i loved seeing the video of danee. so cute! we're so excited for you guys. that little girl (i already think i know it's a girl:) ) is already so loved.

Megan said...

Ok, I love this. You are so much more ready to have a baby than I was. I love how you're already thinking about and loving the baby so much! I can't wait to see the prego pics!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tare! Now I can burn up the email wires and phone lines with the good news! I teared up again reading about how you told everyone and experiencing all the special emotion again of learning that my baby daughter is expecting her first baby! I can't wait to know what "our" new baby is - it will save me a lot of money because now when I see cute things I have to buy the boy things and the girl things (HA)!!
lots of love,
grammy

AmyJ said...

I love that you have a blog for your baby! So sweet! I think it's cute how you told everybody. It's hard to make it extra special when you have SOO many people to tell (and when most live really far away)! I love the fortune cookie and the t-shirt, and the note Brady wrote was cute :)

PS Carrie, I think it's gonna be a boy ;)

Kaela Cusack said...

What a sweet entry! My mother in law kept journals for her kids, and gave them their journals after they left the house. I LOVE this idea!

Kristi said...

You guys are so sweet to come up with fun and creative ways to announce the baby, and you are even sweeter for keeping this little baby journal. Such a great idea and way easier and faster than scrapbooking and even journaling. Just tonight Chandler said the funniest thing and I wanted to have a place to write it down right then before I forgot. I do keep a journal but it is so much faster to type. So GREAT idea, props to you! Your baby is going to be surrounded by so much love. :)

Staci said...

AHH! I haven't been on the blog in awhile...YEAH!! Congrats! You guys will be some of the cutest parents around! I miss being pregnant so much...YEAH you guys that is awesome.

caroline said...

You're such a good mama already!! It's so good that you are documenting this for your kids and in such a cute way.I have always loved how creative and fun you are and have always thought how lucky your kids will be one day. I just can't believe that day has come already. I bet that was SO fun for Brady's family to receive the news in such a thoughtful way. good job guys!