Friday, May 13, 2011

Looking for something to watch...

 I feel like I'm being held hostage right now due to: 
1) The ridiculous construction going on right outside
2) My little bear is sick 

Normally construction wouldn't make someone feel like a prisoner in their own home, but you see, there are only 2 entrances to our complex and for the past 2 days the smart construction workers decided to block both of them. No one could come out or in (okay that's a small exaggeration, they did let people go to work). They stop everyday at 5 so I get to go out then, but it kind of puts a damper on plans during the day. Even when they are smart enough to leave one of the entrances clear, I usually can't turn left which means I add 15 minutes to wherever I'm going. So I'm left everyday with weighing the options and deciding if I want to endure the dirty looks from the workers when I have to blatantly ignore the "road closed" signs. Don't even get me started on noise level interfering with naps and the fact that they wake my sleeping baby at 7:30am when she usually sleeps til 8:30am. 

The Silver Lining:
Since I'm locked away, and since being done with school, I have re-discovered my nerdy love for documentaries. I love to cuddle up on the couch with some kettle corn, my man, and a good documentary. Usually this takes place on (gasp) a weeknight (aka school night). Loving this no school thing. More recently I will watch one when folding laundry while little bear naps. This has all been made possible through netflix streaming (the video streams directly to your tv).

These are some recommendations from moi:






1) King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters- I included 2 posters for this because I liked it so much. I would have never in a million years watched this if it hadn't been for being bored and my Husb suggesting it. Like the poster says, "Roaringly funny", and a great message in the end. Just watch it and thank me later.
2) The Lottery- a little more serious, about the "future of public education". I don't know if I whole heartedly agree with this, but I do think something needs to be done with failing inner city schools. Whether or not you agree with the charter school movement, its worth a watch.
3) More Than a Game- I don't necessarily like or dislike Lebron, but this was just a great story!
4) The Cove- I'm not even an animal person, but I found this really interesting and so sad!

My opinions are not formed solely from the documentaries I watch, but I find it fascinating to see what's out there.  I think its important for anyone who watches documentaries to question everything, do your own research, and form your own opinions!


*If anyone has any other suggestions of documentaries I should watch I would love to hear!

9 comments:

H Clark said...

I love streaming netflix! We just watched a really funny documentary about Chinese kids running for class president. It's called "vote for me" you guys should check it out. Think I am definitely going to watch king of kong :) Congrats again on being done with school, I'm sure all that hard work will be well worth it! Are you going to be at Deanna's wedding? I AM!!! So EXCITED!!!!

H Clark said...

whoops i'm signed in as Clark, this is actually ERIN :)

taryn said...

Erin, I'm so excited to watch "vote for me"!! Am I lame? Wait, don't answer that :)

danielle said...

dunno if you have checked out the planet earth or human planet series but they are pretty awesome! i love the human planet series, it deisplays how resiliant humans are in times of change, conflict etc.....again, pretty awesome!! other than that I remember seeing the cove on an awards show last year and just the previews making me weepy, STILL on my "to see" list....

Zahara Rogers said...

haha I have seriously watched more television these days since school has ended than ever before! Oprah has become my 4 o'clock tradition ha..

Andrea and Reid said...

So Reid and I rented a movie from a Redbox called "Catfish" and we didn't know it was a documentary but it was seriously SO stinking funny! You should watch it.

AmyJ said...

I sorta thought Chris Rock's "Bad Hair" looked interesting.

By the way...I totally agree with you about the being a mom 100% thing. I looove the playground video too! That song is so great!

AmyJ said...

...Olivia is great too...sorry didn't mean for that to sound like the song was the only awesome thing about that video! :)

Zahara Rogers said...

PS You've been awarded Stylish Blogger Award! By me!