Saturday, November 5, 2011

Being Grateful

Lately I've heard from ALL directions to enjoy life right now and live in the moment. This is something that means a lot to me considering the place in life I am at right now. We are living with my parents and basically have no idea where life will take us next. Yes we have Plan A, B, and C but where we are in life right now is the definition of an "in between" moment. We have done all we can do and now we have to wait (this applies to several things that I'm not going to specifically go in to. B and I know what they are). The time of life that you can't help but think "I can't wait until....", so the call to "enjoy the journey" is something that I take seriously. Years from now I hope to be able to look back on this time with some of the fondest memories instead of barely remembering because I was so anxious to be done.



I just finished reading a book called "The Last Lecture" right now for my book club started by my cute SIL. In this book there is a chapter called "The Man in the Convertible" describing a woman who sees this man with the top down on his car, his hair blowing in the wind, and a content smile on his face. He is completely enjoying that day and that very moment. As the woman watched, she realized she knew the man. It was Randy, who she also knew had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had only a few months to live. This is a true story! If he can still be fully engaged in life and enjoying every moment, so can I!

Reading this passage has made me think about a lot of things, and realize a few things that I am so specifically thankful for. The first is that my parents have been so generous to let us live here with them while we "wait". They are the best teachers and examples of kindness and I am grateful just that I get to hang out with them! I feel blessed to have the parents I do and even more blessed that they are still my personal super heros. I won the parent lottery :)

And although this may seem random, if you've read this book you'll understand why this came to my mind while reading it. I am thankful for all of the pen marks, smiley faces, and buggies that are constantly drawn on Olivia's arms, legs, hands, and feet because I love that she is so creative and how such a small thing is so magical to her. I am thankful to have a husband that is as laid back as me and lets her draw all over herself (maybe he even drew ab muscles and some ribs on her once) and doesn't care what people at the grocery store say. One day we'll have to explain to her that its not PC to draw all over your body, but for now I want to let her imagination go wild, and I think I was blessed to have a husband who agrees.

3 comments:

Dale said...

I love the picture. Little O is ripped :) I didn't know that The Last Lecture was turned into a book, but that makes sense. I'll have to read it. You may know this already, but you can watch the actual lecture on YouTube. Here's the link if you're interested (hopefully we're talking about the same "last lecture"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

taryn said...

You should read it if you liked the lecture. He talks about the lecture a bit and what was going through his head at certain times. I hadn't watched it until just now since you posted the link and made it so easy for me (i'm lazy so thank you!) and it was fun to watch after having just finished the book. He expounds a little more on certain things in the book since there's no time limit. Anyway, I found it pretty interesting and uplifting!

Zahara Rogers said...

This is so true, I totally got this message from President Uchidorf's (don't think that is spelled right) about the forget me not flowers. I will live my happy now! ha And I love the new training workout program you got Liv on ha! Her abs are rockin ;)